Don’t miss out on the last course of the year!
Courses resume February – March of 2019
Running from Thursday 15th November- Thursday 20th December, 2018 ( NB only 6 sessions for this course)
What Do You Fear?
The Overcoming Shyness and Social Anxiety Group Therapy program covers the roles medication, exercise, nutrition and lifestyle factors can play in alleviating social anxiety. There is a strong emphasis on increasing participants self esteem and overcoming fears around public speaking.
Homework exercises designed to consolidate the lessons learnt in each session are provided. These involve some reading, practicing relaxation techniques learnt in the group and completing sheets and workbooks.
The major advantages of a group program include
- provides participants with the opportunity to role play feared social situations in a friendly, supportive environment
- allows sufferers to see that others face similar difficulties in life, and
- can provide an avenue for making new friends.
The number of participants is limited to 10 to ensure everyone receives adequate attention. Individual sessions are also available for people who do not wish to join a group.
Please ring to arrange an individual session prior to booking for the group. This is to ensure that group therapy is appropriate for you and to obtain information about the difficulties you are experiencing.
Note: People who do not wish to role play can opt out.
Our overcoming shyness workshop schedule for 2018
Note: Groups run over 8 weeks from 7:10 — 9.30pm
Groups are not held on public holidays.
- Tuesday 3rd July- Tuesday 21st August 2018
- Thursday 26th July- Thursday 13th September 2018
- Tuesday 3rd September -Tuesday 22nd September 2018
- Thursday 20th September- Thursday 8th November, 2018
- Tuesday 30th October -Tuesday 18th December 2018
- Thursday 15th November- Thursday 20th December, 2018 ( NB only 6 sessions for this course)
Intensive course Schedule
We offer a more intensive course schedule. For more information, please contact us for a discussion about your goals.
Hawthorn Community House
32 Henry Street, Hawthorn
$650 (Concession may be available for eligible health care card holders)
Note: Private health fund rebates may apply if you have extras cover. You will need to check whether you are covered for group therapy. Medicare rebates are now available for group therapy so please consult your G.P for a Mental Health Care Plan as it may entitle you to a rebate of $253.00
Catherine Madigan is a clinical psychologist with over 20 years experience running social anxiety groups and a passion for working with this issue.
Given that she is a fully qualified clinical psychologist, Medicare rebates are available and this means that her course may be more affordable for participants than other courses available elsewhere that are run by students.
- If you are on a low-income concession card the initial assessment session is bulk billed to Medicare.
- The 8 week program costs $450 but you get back approximately $240 from Medicare so the out of pocket cost is only $210.
- Catherine has found that many clients prefer an 8-week program than a 12-week program due to having to juggle other personal commitments, school holidays, etc.
- 8 x 2.5 hour group sessions
Phone (03) 9819 3671 or 0429 88 3671 for further information or to register for group therapy sessions.
Note: There are no refunds for non-attendance at sessions or for people who cancel within 5 working days of the course they booked for commencing.
Catherine Madigan (B.A. Hons., M.A. (Clinical Psychology), M.A.P.S.
Catherine Madigan is a Melbourne Clinical psychologist who specialises in the treatment of social anxiety. She offers a group cognitive behavioral therapy program for social anxiety sufferers. Catherine has been offering this group program for over 8 years and has conducted these groups for both the public mental health system and as part of her private practice. Catherine’s work with social anxiety sufferers has been featured in the most prestigious Australian publications, with the Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service and job placement agencies having referred clients to ‘Overcoming Shyness and Social Anxiety’.
The ‘Overcoming Shyness & Social Anxiety’ program teaches cognitive therapy and relaxation techniques (e.g. slow breathing, isometric relaxation) and provides the opportunity for participants to role-play their feared social situations (exposure therapy).
Reserve your seat for the program today (Only 8 seats are available per program).