About: cris matsunaga
Recent Posts by cris matsunaga
What are anxiety attacks? (otherwise known as panic attacks)
According to the American Psychiatric Association (1994), a panic attack is a period of intense fear or discomfort and consists of 4 or more of the symptoms listed below. Panic attacks have an abrupt onset and the symptoms peak within 10 minutes.
What are the symptoms of a panic attack?
Panic symptoms include:
- trembling or shaking
- shortness of breath
- choking sensations
- chest pain or discomfort
- feeling detached from oneself
- fear of losing control or dying
- numbness or tingling
- chills or hot flushes
- thoughts of contamination (e.g. ‘Will I catch AIDS from shaking hands?’)
- repeated doubts (e.g. ‘Did I leave the door unlocked, Did I turn off the light’)
- need for orderliness (e.g. get distressed when pictures are crooked, objects are untidy)
- aggressive impulses (e.g....
Worry definitionWorrying has been defined as a string of negative thoughts that are mainly verbal and efforts at problem solving.
How many people are affected by worrying too much?According to the American Psychiatric Association (1994), generalised anxiety affects up to 12% of the population. Excessive worrying is the most prevalent anxiety disorder.
Who tends to be...
Recent Comments by cris matsunaga
No comments by cris matsunaga yet.